Sixteen-Year-Old Tatiana Calderon Joins Juncos Racing for 2010 Season


VERO BEACH, Fla., January 11, 2010 - International karting star Tatiana Calderon, 16, has joined Juncos Racing for the 2010 Star Mazda Championship presented by Goodyear. The young Colombian first impressed everyone at Juncos Racing with her talent when she competed as a member of their karting team in 2005 and 2006. Now after winning several titles in karting over the past few years, she will return to Juncos Racing, but this time driving a Pro Formula Mazda.

"The first time I tested a Formula Mazda was an amazing experience," said Calderon. "The car was so powerful, and I just felt very comfortable with it the whole time. I know I still have a lot to learn and a lot of experience to gain if I want to win, and that is why joining Juncos Racing is the best decision for me. I know how professional Juncos Racing is because I had the chance to race with them in the past on their karting team. We've known each other for several years already, so the connection as well as the communication I have with the whole team is really good. When I tested with them last November, they were able to explain everything to me so well that it just clicked in my mind and made everything look so easy.

"I am really excited about this year and what is coming next in my life. I know what a high level of racing the Star Mazda Championship is, and I know how many experienced drivers there are going to be who are competing for the title. Knowing that motivates me even more and makes my challenge even bigger."

Calderon has won several impressive titles over the past few years including finishing third in the Rotax Junior Colombian Kart Championship in 2007, becoming the IAME International Challenge Champion in 2008, and claiming second in both the Radical European Master Series Championship and the Colombian Rotax Senior Max Challenge in 2009. She also made racing history as the first female competitor to win the Snap-on Stars of Karting Divisional Championship when she took home the JICA Eastern Division title in 2008.

"I'm so happy to have Tatiana back on the team," said Juncos Racing Team Owner Ricardo Juncos. "We've known each other for several years now, since back when she used to race as an official Juncos Racing go-kart driver in 2005 and 2006. I'm very impressed with the way Tatiana has grown in the last few years and how her driving, skills and performance qualities are getting better and better.

"We did some school days and practice sessions with Tatiana in a Renault 1600cc in 2008, a Renault 2000 at Roebling Road in 2009, and finally tested her in a Star Mazda racecar in early November 2009. When we tested her in the Star Mazda car, I found that not only were her performance and attitude while driving the car fantastic, but also her interpretation and feeling for the racecar. This told me that if we work together with 100 percent dedication and effort in 2010, Tatiana can be at the top of the field without a doubt."

After finishing second in the Championship in the team's inaugural season last year, Juncos Racing looks forward to another successful season in the Star Mazda Championship in 2010. With Calderon on board, Juncos Racing now sets its sights towards the first official series test of 2010 at Sebring International Raceway in Fla. from January 22-24.

About Juncos Racing: Juncos Racing is centrally located in Vero Beach, Florida, U.S.A. to offer diverse levels of racing year round. Juncos Racing operates out of a state of the art facility which houses vehicles suitable for all levels of racing, from go-karts to open wheel Formula race cars. It is one of the few teams in the United States which offers a development program starting from racing go-karts to racing professional open wheel race cars. The team's goal is to provide young and older drivers alike with a foundation upon which they can build a career in motorsports. Juncos Racing offers two and three-day racing schools which cover theoretical and hands-on driving techniques. With your dedication and the team's expertise and advanced training techniques, Juncos Racing is confident that you will achieve and master the fundamentals of racing. For more information, please visit www.juncosracing.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment